Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ted does it again....

I love TED. Most educators do. I was super excited when flipping through the channels I saw TED on the Science channel. That was the first experience for my family to sit and watch TED videos. Then  edTED appeared on the web. This is amazing website. There are currently 63 TED talks on the site with quick quiz to answer as you go along and some think deeper questions as well. These are great thought provoking questions based on the videos seen.

The great part is by signing up you can create your own pages similarly from any youtube video.  This is an easy way to create the whole package of video, questions (both multiple choice and short answer) for the classroom.  The layout of the page is great and very user friendly.  I plan on using this in my classes.  I  have flipped my first video here.

While this is great there are some issues:
Once published you can not go back and edit argh. That's tough come on ted, make the ability to edit again.

And the student activity part:
The confusing part though is seeing the student's activity on it.  It says that I will be able to see the activity but further reading it appears that students need to have an account.  This is somewhat of an issue because of the need to control accounts and what personal information students are sending out there, especially with Middle School ages.  I hope ted finds away that teachers can create and manage student accounts.  For now I will have my students use my flipped videos without signing in. This drastically limits the open ended questions, as they won't be able to save therefore I can't view.  Hopefully soon this will be fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment